Western Cape, South Africa, the home of the breathtaking West Coast National Park. Visitors can enjoy panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and unique fauna and flora.
Boasting a long list of things to do and see, this beautiful stretch of coastline is best enjoyed by car. Luckily for you, car rental in South Africa is quick and easy. When landing at the Cape Town International Airport, start your journey the right way and find your perfect ride to fit your needs and budget with a trusty car rental in Cape Town. And, you’ll be on your way in no time, enjoying what the West Coast National park has to offer:
- Hike one of the park’s numerous trails
- Go birdwatching at the bird hide
- Visit the park on a guided tour.
- Take a picnic in one of the designated picnic areas.
- Explore the lagoon by kayak or canoe.
Visit the Nearby Towns
There are several charming towns near the West Coast National Park that are worth a visit. Some of the best include:
- Langebaan: This seaside town is famous for its pristine beaches and offers plenty of water sports activities for visitors.
- Paternoster: This fishing village offers visitors a chance to experience the local culture and enjoy some of the freshest seafood in the region.
- Darling: A quirky town known for its wine and beer festivals and is home to several art galleries.
How To Get Around
If you don’t have your own car then you should consider a rental car in Cape Town, that suits your planned route. Public transport is not easily available in the area, therefore a car is the best option.
Take a Wine Tour
The Western Cape is famous for its wine, and there are several great wineries near the West Coast National Park.
Some of the best include:
- Groote Post: This historic wine farm offers visitors a chance to taste some of the region’s best wines and enjoy a picnic on the grounds.
- Darling Cellars: This family-run winery is known for its award-winning wines and stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Ormonde Vineyards: This boutique winery offers visitors a chance to taste some of the region’s best wines and enjoy a guided tour of the vineyards.
Go Whale Watching
Between June and November, you could see Southern Right Whales in the waters off the coast. Some of the best places to go whale watching include:
- Yzerfontein: This small town is known for whale watching tours, where visitors can watch these majestic creatures from a relatively close viewing spot.
- Lambert’s Bay: This seaside town is home to a colony of Cape fur seals and is a popular spot for whale watching tours.
Enjoy the Local Cuisine
The Western Cape is known for its delicious cuisine, and there are several great restaurants near the West Coast National Park. Some of the best include:
- The Strandloper: This beachfront restaurant in Langebaan is known for its seafood buffet, which features fresh catches of the day.
- Russells on the Port: This restaurant in Port Owen offers stunning views of the marina and serves up a range of local and international dishes.
- Oep ve Koep: This restaurant in Paternoster is known for its traditional West Coast cuisine, which includes dishes like snoek pate and bokkoms.
Whether you love the outdoors, sampling the local cuisine, or are a wine enthusiast, there’s something for everyone in the West Coast National Park.
Explore Cape Town and surrounds by renting a car at Cape Town International Airport. SANI Car Rental is a South African homegrown car rental company. Vehicles available to rent include compact cars, economy cars, premium cars, people carriers and SUVs. SANI Car Rental serves customers throughout South Africa including at all major local and international airport.