Dreaming of a once-in-a-lifetime adventure? KwaZulu-Natal province in South Africa is accessed by tourists from Durban’s King Shaka International Airport and offers thrill-seekers spectacular waves for surfing, peaceful lagoons for kayaking, and dazzling marine life to explore by both snorkelling and scuba diving – plus plenty more. We have compiled some of the top adventure activities in Kwa-Zulu Natal.
You can enjoy a variety of water sports, such as kayaking, snorkelling, surfing, scuba diving, and more.
KwaZulu-Natal offers everything from kayaking in pristine waters to snorkelling with marine life to surfing some of the best waves in Africa and more.
Some of the best places or operators to enjoy water sports in KwaZulu-Natal are:
- Durban: the largest city and a surfing hotspot with many beaches and surf schools. You can catch some waves at North Beach, South Beach or uShaka Beach, or learn from the pros at Surf Emporium or Learn-2-Surf.
- Umhlanga: a seaside resort town with luxury hotels and a lagoon for kayaking. You can paddle along the calm waters of the lagoon and admire the mangroves and birdlife, or join a guided tour with Umhlanga Kayak Tours or Kayak Adventures.
- Sodwana Bay: a marine reserve with coral reefs and rich biodiversity for snorkelling and scuba diving. You can explore the underwater world of Sodwana Bay and see colourful fish, turtles, rays, dolphins and even whales, or book a dive with Coral Divers or Triton Dive Lodge.
A rich wildlife heritage and a concentration of conservation areas make KwaZulu-Natal one of Africa’s best destinations to see iconic animals in their natural habitats. You can see elephants, rhinos, lions, leopards, cheetahs, giraffes, zebras, antelopes, monkeys, birds, reptiles, and more in KwaZulu-Natal.
Some of the best places to view wildlife in KwaZulu-Natal are:
- Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park: the oldest game reserve in Africa and home to the Big Five animals. You can go on a safari and see elephants, rhinos, lions, leopards and buffaloes, as well as many other species. You can book a safari with Heritage Tours & Safaris or Hluhluwe Game Reserve Safari.
- Tembe Elephant Park: a sanctuary for the largest elephants in Africa and other rare species. You can see these majestic animals and their families, as well as hyenas, lions and more. You can book a safari with Tembe Elephant Park or Tembe Safari Lodge.
- Tala Game Reserve: a private reserve with diverse habitats and easy access from Durban. You can see rhinos, giraffes, zebras, wildebeests and more in the grasslands, wetlands and forests of Tala. You can book a safari with Tala Game Reserve or Tala Collection Private Game Reserve.
- Another option for wildlife viewing in KwaZulu-Natal is to rent a car in Durban and drive yourself to the different parks. This way you can have more control over your itinerary and timing. You can also save some money on transport fees and enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way.
KZN’s different landscapes and climates make it a great place to go hiking for people of all fitness levels and levels of experience. You can hike on mountain trails, forest trails, coastal trails, and more in Kwa-Zulu Natal.
Some of the best places to go hiking in KwaZulu-Natal are:
- Drakensberg: a mountain range with stunning views and challenging routes for experienced hikers. You can hike to the highest peak in South Africa at Mafadi (3450 m), or explore the caves and rock art at Giant’s Castle or Royal Natal National Park.
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park: a UNESCO World Heritage Site with wetlands, forests and wildlife for nature lovers. You can hike along the coast and see crocodiles, hippos, flamingos and pelicans at St Lucia Estuary or Cape Vidal
- Oribi Gorge: a scenic canyon with waterfalls and rock formations for adventurous hikers. You can hike along the edge of the gorge and see spectacular views of the river below
KwaZulu-Natal is a province that has something for everyone. Whether you are looking for water sports, hiking, or wildlife viewing, you will find it in this diverse and beautiful region. You can surf on the waves, hike in the mountains, or see the Big Five animals in their natural habitats. You can also enjoy the culture, history, and cuisine of this vibrant and friendly province.
Explore KwaZulu-Natal and surrounds by renting a car at Durban’s King Shaka International Airport. SANI Car Rental is a South African homegrown car rental company. Vehicles available to rent include compact cars, economy cars, premium cars, people carriers, and SUVs. SANI Car Rental serves customers throughout South Africa, including at all major local and international airports.