Explore South Africa’s smallest, yet most populous province, Gauteng, with an unforgettable road trip! Nature reserves to historical attractions, there is something for everyone in Gauteng. Fly-in to Johannesburg, rent a car at O.R. Tambo International Airport and begin your journey!
Gauteng offers a variety of activities and destinations to suit all interests. We list the best spots you should not miss on your trip! Plus, get tips on how to make the most of the experience. So what are you waiting for? Let the adventure begin!
The Cradle of Humankind
Delve into the Cradle of Humankind a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in South Africa. Here you can explore fossil sites and caves where scientists have discovered some of our oldest ancestors, including “Mrs Ples” and “Little Foot”. This 47 000 hectares of history is an unmissable destination for anyone looking to understand how we evolved over millions of years.
Some tips on how to enjoy Cradle of Humankind:
- Book your tickets online in advance to avoid the long queues
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, as some parts of the caves are narrow and steep
- Bring a camera or binoculars to capture the stunning views
- Try some local delicacies at one of the restaurants or cafes nearby
The next destination on our list is Magaliesberg, a mountain range that rises at a point south of Pilanesberg National Park. It is composed mainly of quartzites and has been declared a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO.
Magaliesberg the perfect place for nature lovers who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and spend time in nature again. Offering scenic landscapes, diverse flora and fauna, fresh air, and tranquility, you can enjoy various outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, horse riding, fishing, camping, and birdwatching.
Some tips on how to enjoy Magaliesberg:
- Plan your route according to your fitness level and preferences
- Check the weather forecast before you go and pack accordingly
- Bring enough water and snacks to stay hydrated and energised
- Respect the environment and wildlife
Pilanesberg National Park
Pilanesberg Park is another great destination for nature lovers. It is located in the North West Province and is home to an abundance of wildlife, including lions, leopards, elephants, buffaloes, rhinos, antelopes, and more. You can also explore a variety of landscapes, such as savanna grasslands, wooded valleys, rocky outcrops and rivers.
Some tips on how to enjoy Pilanesberg National Park:
- Book your accommodation and activities in advance to secure your spot
- Carry a bug repellent and sunscreen to protect yourself from insects and sunburn
- Follow the park guidelines and do not provoke or feed wild animals
- Stick to the marked roads and hiking trails and do not litter
- Enjoy the spectacular views from a hot air balloon ride
Why Renting a Car is a Good Idea for Gauteng Road Trips
Renting a car in Johannesburg or Pretoria will make your trip more convenient, flexible, and affordable. And, you’ll be able to avoid those awkward group rides with strangers.
In case you’re not convinced yet, here are some other advantages of car rental in Johannesburg:
- You can go at your own pace – allowing you to explore and discover different places in Gauteng.
- You are free to visit attractions that may not be included in a tour package or even stop by interesting shops on the way.
- You don’t need to worry about bus or train schedules – you can have more time enjoying your holiday.
Gauteng is an amazing place to visit with a lot of things to do and places to see. You’re bound to find something that will make your road trip extraordinary – from the ancient history of Cradle of Humankind to the majestic Magaliesberg Mountains. With affordable car rentals in Johannesburg, you can explore Gauteng at your own leisure and convenience.