Long-distance driving is not just about getting to your destination; it’s about the journey, ensuring comfort, safety, and focus throughout. With the growth of the car rental industry, many travelers hire vehicles for a fun long distance road trip. However, it’s important to follow these safety guidelines while on the road.
The Essentials Before You Start Your Journey
Check Your Vehicle
Before you set the wheels in motion, it’s important to ensure your vehicle is in top condition. This involves:
- Checking the oil levels for optimal engine performance
- Ensure tyres are inflated correctly for better road grip.
- Verifying that brakes are responsive
- Checking that windshield wipers work correctly.
As the saying goes, ‘By failing to prepare, you’re preparing to fail’. Packing the right essentials can be the difference between a great and a difficult journey.
- First-aid Kit: Injuries can be unpredictable. Always carry a kit equipped with bandages, antiseptic wipes, and pain relievers.
- Healthy Snacks: Combat hunger with fruits, nuts, granola bars, and sandwiches. These not only ease hunger but also keep you alert.
- Stay Hydrated: Water is your best friend on the road. Avoid sugary or caffeinated drinks, which might cause dehydration and instead focus on water to prevent fatigue.
Maintaining Comfort During the Drive
Long drives can strain your back. Adjust your seat to maintain a straight back posture and consider using lumbar support pillows for added comfort. See our guide for choosing the perfect rental car for your African adventure.
Comfortable clothing improves the driving experience. Avoid tight-fitting clothes that restrict movement. Opt for attire that allows you to move freely and comfortably.
Catering to the Little Passengers
If kids are accompanying you:
- Ensure they’re well-fed with snacks and drinks.
- Keep them engaged with toys, books, or colouring activities.
- Use sun shades to keep the vehicle cool, ensuring their comfort.
Staying Alert and Safe
The Power of Breaks
Regular breaks, ideally every 2-3 hours, are essential. They provide an opportunity to stretch, have a snack, or just relax before hitting the road again.
Steering Clear of Drowsiness
Drowsy driving is risky. If fatigue sets in, consider a power nap or rotate driving duties if travelling with another adult. It is important to stay alert on the South African roads while driving at night.
Tune in to Stay Alert
Select upbeat music or intriguing audiobooks to keep your mind active. The right choice can ensure you remain alert.
The Magic of Cruise Control
If your vehicle is equipped with cruise control, use it. Not only does it help in reducing fatigue, but it also aids in improving fuel efficiency.
Preparing for Unexpected Challenges
It’s always better to be prepared. If you or your co-passengers are prone to motion sickness, ensure you have appropriate medication on hand.
Long-distance driving can be a challenge, but with the right strategies, it can be a comfortable and safe experience. Therefore, the emphasis should always be on safety and comfort for you and your family. As you begin your journey, remember that the road is full of experiences.
Explore South Africa by renting a car from SANI Car Rental. SANI Car Rental is a South African homegrown car rental company. Vehicles available to rent include compact cars, economy cars, premium cars, people carriers, and SUVs. SANI Car Rental has customers all over South Africa, including at all the major airports, both domestic and international.