Mpumalanga, located in South Africa, is known for its breathtaking waterfalls nestled in the midst of lush landscapes. If you’re a nature enthusiast and love the sight of cascading water, Mpumalanga should be on your travel list.
Road Trip Recommendation
A reliable car rental service in Mpumalanga is essential for a smooth and convenient journey. We recommend using an affordable car rental service, such as SANI Car Rental in Mpumalanga, which offers reliable and budget-friendly options.
To make the most of your waterfall adventure in Mpumalanga, we recommend a well-planned road trip. Renting a reliable car is essential for convenient transportation between destinations. You can avail of affordable car rental services in Mpumalanga from reputable providers like SANI Rental Car, which offers a wide range of vehicles to suit your needs.
Here is a day-by-day road trip recommendation for visiting the waterfalls in Mpumalanga:
Day 1: Nelspruit to Sabie
Start your road trip from Nelspruit, the capital city of Mpumalanga. Drive to Sabie, a small town known for its picturesque waterfalls. The distance between Nelspruit and Sabie is approximately 60 km, and the drive takes around 1 hour. On the way, you can stop at Lone Creek Falls, a beautiful waterfall with a 68m drop, and enjoy a short hike to its base.
Day 2: Sabie to Graskop
From Sabie, head to Graskop, a charming town located on the edge of the Drakensberg Escarpment. The distance between Sabie and Graskop is approximately 40 km, and the drive takes around 1 hour. Along the way, you can visit Mac-Mac Falls, a double waterfall with a height of 70m, and take a refreshing dip in its natural pool.
Day 3: Graskop to Blyde River Canyon
On day three, head to Blyde River Canyon, one of the world’s largest canyons and home to a number of spectacular waterfalls. The distance between Graskop and Blyde River Canyon is approximately 50 km, and the drive takes around 1.5 hours. Here, you can explore attractions such as the Three Rondavels, Bourke’s Luck Potholes, and the famous God’s Window, which offers breathtaking panoramic views of the canyon and surrounding landscapes
Mpumalanga is renowned for its scenic waterfalls that are scattered throughout the region. Here are some of the most beautiful waterfalls to see in Mpumalanga:
- Lone Creek Falls: Located near Sabie, this waterfall is known for its impressive 68m drop and picturesque surroundings. A short hike through the forest leads to the base of the falls, where you can witness its majestic beauty up close.
- Mac-Mac Falls: Situated near Graskop, Mac-Mac Falls is a double waterfall with a combined height of 70m. The falls are surrounded by dense vegetation and offer a serene and tranquil atmosphere.
- Berlin Falls: Located in Blyde River Canyon, Berlin Falls is a stunning waterfall with a 45m drop.
- Lisbon Falls: Also located in Blyde River Canyon, Lisbon Falls is a multi-tiered waterfall surrounded by lush greenery, making it a perfect spot for relaxation and rejuvenation.
Mpumalanga offers a variety of accommodation options for travellers to suit different budgets and preferences. Here are some recommendations for accommodation near the waterfalls:
- Sabie: Sabie is a small town known for its scenic beauty and is located near many of the waterfalls mentioned above, including Lone Creek Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. There are several guesthouses, lodges, and hotels in Sabie that offer comfortable and affordable accommodation options for travellers.
- Graskop: Graskop is another quaint town located near Lisbon Falls and Three Rondavels. Guesthouses, lodges, and hotels are all available, and many of them offer breathtaking views of the local mountains and forests.
- The Blyde River Canyon: is a great place to stay if you want to be surrounded by nature without having to leave the reserve. There are several campsites and lodges within the reserve that offer a unique and close-to-nature experience for travellers who want to be surrounded by the stunning natural beauty of the canyon.
- Private Game Lodges: If you’re looking for a luxurious place to stay look no further than one of the private game lodges in the area. These lodges offer premium amenities, exquisite dining, and guided safari experiences, along with stunning views of the waterfalls and the surrounding wilderness.
From the iconic Mac-Mac Falls to the lesser-known gems like Lone Creek Falls and Berlin Falls, each waterfall has its own charm and appeal. The surrounding areas also offer a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences, from quaint towns like Sabie and Graskop to the immersive experience of staying within the Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve or indulging in the luxury of private game lodges.
Follow all safety guidelines and respect the natural environment as you embark on your road trip. Take care of the surroundings, leave no trace, and be cautious while hiking or exploring the waterfalls. Also, check weather conditions before your trip, as rainfall can affect the water flow of the falls.
A road trip to the waterfalls of Mpumalanga promises a memorable adventure filled with natural beauty, breathtaking views, and unique experiences.
Explore the beautiful waterfalls and surrounds by renting a car in Mpumalanga. SANI Car Rental is a South African homegrown car rental company. Vehicles available to rent include compact cars, economy cars, premium cars, people carriers, and SUVs. SANI Car Rental has customers all over South Africa, including at all the major airports, both domestic and international.